Tuesday 26 June 2007

What a day: Part 1

8.30 to my Analyst, four sessions a week at this time to see if we can find reasons (other than medical) for the depression and the OCD.

11.30 meeting with the Poggle and Ben, my keyworker from the supporting people scheme. Good news here, seems like I will be getting a refund on my Council Tax and benefit to help with this from now on.

Better still; it seems that after nine months of battling against bureaucracy, the DWP are going to pay the interest on my mortgage. This has been a massive worry for me and I owe the outcome to the Poggle and my Son who have accompanied me to meetings to act as my surrogate memory, and written letters and made phone calls at times when I have not been able to do so.

There would not have been an issue if I had been assessed last October as being entitled to income support: and/or: if this had been a rented property. However, because I receive a small pension after being retired from Social Work on health grounds, I exceed the permitted income limit even though the pension does not cover the cost of my mortgage and the monthly service charge on the ground floor flat I require because of the degenerative disc disease.

There would be no problem if I lived in Scotland, my disability alone would have meant help with my mortgage even if I was still working but here in England they make you wait until you only have £6000 in savings before you can apply for support. They then impose a six month waiting limit before they will consider help with the mortgage which means you spend most of that £6000 waiting for the help to arrive meaning, in my case, that my emergency fund for if the fridge breaks, or my one of my Children or Grandchildren needs help, has gone.
Can’t help feeling there is something very wrong here.

No comments: